Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Limelight...Marketplace...

I made my maiden voyage to Limelight Marketplace last night…wow, what a trip. Many a crazy nights/mornings were spent under the steeple of this church of iniquity and I wasn’t quite sure how I would react to it’s transformation into a specialty marketplace. Limelight was one of the first clubs I ever went to when I moved to NY in 1999. Although I had just missed the NY club kid scene (I’m actually kind of happy I did, I might have ended up dismembered, floating in a box in the Hudson), it was still alive and thriving in 1999. I went to Limelight for the first time on Halloween night…quite an introduction. I will never forget a group of cracked out angels, in wings and halos, leaning over the third story steal staircase laughing and ashing all over the gaggle of vampires, mummies and living dead below them (there were also a few people in costume). It was a surreal experience, one that I will never forget. Although I am older and wiser(?) now and my club days are behind me, I will always look back on the craziness that was Limelight fondly. So, cut to 2010 and the shiny cupcake colored Limelight Marketplace. I wanted to hate it so much, I wanted to look down at the pretentiousness of it all, but it actually made me realize that time is real and that time continually moves on. Everything comes to an end, and with good reason, and everything morphs and changes. The mirror covered mannequin disco ball might be gone as well as our secret pot smoking closet but among the overpriced hand bags and pink frosting the ghosts of Limelight still frolic. I noticed I wasn’t the only one roaming through the stores with one eye on the cool gold skull necklaces and the other searching for my youth among the pendentives.

P.S. I did walk out wearing a skull necklace.

http://limelightmarketplace.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment