Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How do you say deee-licious, deee-lovely, deee-lectable, deee-vine?

Continuing on with subjects, people and music that have shaped, molded and broke me down since my youth…I give you the psychedelic, neo-disco, funkastic freaks from the global village…deeeeeeee-lite...Deee-lite! I was a silly, confused teenager with big bangs and baggy jeans who was just starting to learn what this crazy world was all about and where I might fit into it when Deee-lite released their first album, World Clique; the seminal album of my early teens! World Clique got me moving and grooving in a way I didn’t even know was possible. A crazy sound straight out of an awe-inspiring land called New York City, a place I wanted to be, had to be…and someday would be. Deee-lite opened my eyes and my heart to the pulse of NYC at a time when it was exploding both artistically and musically. Their sampladelic fierceness inspired me to research and explore(from afar) the ultimate cement jungle and to dream of someday trading in my life of picket fence suburbia for the urban realness that only a magical place like NYC can offer; to live that life, dance that dance and groove that groove…to be a part of the downtown global village! Consisting of diva, Miss Lady Kier and DJs DJ Dmitry and Towa Towa, Deee-lite, with their neon spandex and leopard platforms, served up the funkiest, freshest and most deeelightful grooves of the early 90’s. They frolicked and played and took their special mix of 60’s psychedelic, 90’s hip-hop and NYC downtown club kid realness and wrapped it all up into a cloud of crazy dust to be sprinkled all over the NYC downtown club scene. Some of that dust traveled west and landed in the bedroom of THIS 15yr old kid and I freely inhaled the entire cloud! I became an instant NYC downtown wannabe; I covered my bedroom walls with pictures of skylines, graffiti art, spaceships and smiley faces as Deee-lite’s highly infectious beats blared through my bedroom window until the entire neighborhood had the grove in their heart! Deee-lite's music and style inspired me to dream big, play hard and ultimately have good time. They are the reason I moved to NYC, they are the reason I stole my friend’s 10-inch bright green Vans platform sneakers and they are the reason I found my groove…because in the end...I just wanna hear a good beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment